Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Variation-the spice of life

Quilters are sometimes asked to identify their favorite part of making a quilt. I often think it is in the fabric choosing. Handling the colors and prints really get my creative muse going. Then again, sometimes it is when I start free motion quilting, because I usually let the design of the quilt and my mood guide the quilt's movements.

But wait. A workshop I participated in last year made me think the best part is when I get to play with the blocks I've pieced, looking for the right layout and fitting the pattern together. Even if the blocks were made with a certain set in mind, I can't resist turning them this way and that way. These blocks were done during and after a class by Kimberley Einmo. No quilt in mind, just working on her piecing and block pattern techniques. So the blocks just sat in a bin without making a quilt...yet.

 The workshop was an opportunity to bring orphan blocks and play with sets and alternative ways to finish the quilt. Other guild members joined in the fun, critiquing layouts, contributing accent fabrics to help move the decisions along, and turning orphans, and sometimes downright plain or ugly blocks, into future quilt tops to be desired. I have one finished that will be a holiday gift, with photos posted soon. These cheerful blocks will be a 2015 project, just because the colors make me happy. Not sure which layout to use...maybe even something different than one of these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment