Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A break from quilts...just temporary

My nephew Tony and his wife Kamryn are having a baby next spring. Imagine my pleasure when I was told that Tony would enjoy having a stocking in the same style I made for him and his brothers so many years ago. So the search was on for the perfect kit. The ones I did in the past were made with felt, and I remember my criteria: they had to have Santa on it somewhere, and the gaudier they were, the better. This is the one I chose:


So I've spent my TV and quilting time in the past 10 days or so adding all the sequins and beads to the pieces. Now I'm doing the embroidery. I hope that this weekend I can start to cut out the pieces and start to applique them down and stuff sections to add dimension.

One change I found with the new stockings is that they have such a small place to add the child's name. In the past, they just had a top border where you couched down the gold trim to spell the name. I may need to wait to see what Tony and Kamryn will name their baby boy before I actually finish this. I can always add my own name border at the top if necessary. Names more than five letters may not fit on that one gold star.

So that is where my sewing time has been spent. I'll see if I get this out of my system before the holiday break, so I can get back to that t-shirt quilt that is still taking up design wall space.

No comments:

Post a Comment