Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Getting into the habit

I'll most likely start off with these simple notes to myself to help establish that habit. I have aspirations of this becoming the site family and friends can visit to check up on the latest news, but I'd really like it to become my spot where my quilting takes center stage. I'm thinking it would give me a boost to document that part of my life.

I started quilting about 1986, after 10+ years doing any kind of craft I took a fancy to. This was different though. I started off focusing on one quilt at a time. Thinking the better quality quilt required all hand work, from templates, to cutting, to piecework, and quilting, one at a time was sufficient. This mindset continued when we moved to the Champaign/Urbana area in 1991, but once I discovered our local quilt guild, all bets were off. Quilting was no longer another craft in my repertoire-it became my primary creative outlet.

Suddenly rotary cutters, machine piecing, machine quilting (gasp), and collecting fabrics to build a stash were permitted. I can't believe how exposure to the women in the Illini Country Stitchers guild changed my view of quilting.

So this blog will be my way of sharing what I'm doing in the quilt world, and I'll add in family and friends stuff along the way. For now, it's like a private journal, but I'll soon see to changing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment